Utility Services

Water Waste Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Are the water waste violations new to the City of Henderson?

A: Preventing water waste has been an important part of the City of Henderson’s conservation program for more than 15 years. In recent years, the City has seen an increase in outdoor water waste and as a result, has increased efforts to notify customers when they are creating water waste.

Q:  Where can I obtain a breakdown of the fines assessed for water waste?

A: Prior to receiving a fine, customers first receive a courtesy warning letter for water waste. Water waste violations should be corrected as soon as possible. If violations continue to be observed, customers will be assessed administrative fines according to the table that can be found at cityofhenderson.com.

Q: Must City of Henderson parks and trails abide by the same mandatory watering restrictions set forth by SNWA?

A:  Henderson Municipal Code contains watering restrictions and requirements specifically for community use recreational turf areas, such as parks. Henderson parks operate under a Drought Response Plan and are on a watering schedule designed to help maximize water efficiency while keeping the turf available to be enjoyed by the public throughout most of the day. However, water waste violations such as overspray or runoff should be corrected as soon as possible. If these water waste violations are observed, please assist in reporting at 702-267-5900 or online at cityofhenderson.com.

Q:  Does the City of Henderson offer any help to customers wanting to reduce water waste?

A:  Customer service specialists are available to provide tips on how to prevent water waste and use water more efficiently by calling the Customer Care Center at 702-267-5900, Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. In addition to the various water conservation programs such as the Water Smart Landscapes program (turf rebate), the Southern Nevada Water Authority also offers information at snwa.com for how to locate a leak, how to set your sprinkler clock and other helpful water conservation topics.

Q:  Who can I contact about the water waste letter that I received?

A:  Contact the Department of Utility Services’ Customer Care Center at 702-267-5900, Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Q:  The time stamp on the water waste letter I received is 3 a.m. Is this correct?

A:  It is possible for the City of Henderson’s conservation assistants to be in your neighborhood at any time of day and on any day of the week.

Q:  Is landscape next to major streets owned/maintained by the City?

A:  No, not all landscape areas next to a street are owned or maintained by the City of Henderson. Many common landscape areas are maintained by Homeowner Associations. To find out who maintains an area, you may use the Homeowners Association map at cityofhenderson.com.

Q:  Who can report water waste?

A:  Anyone can anonymously report water waste at contacthenderson.com. Click on ‘Submit Request’ and select the ‘Conservation/Water Waste’ topic on the left-hand side, then select ‘Assist Us By Reporting Water Waste.’  The City will not share who reported the water waste with the customer.

Q:  Does the City have a leak alert system in place?

A:  At this time, Henderson water meters do not have the capability to send an alert if a possible water leak is detected. The City’s partner agency, Southern Nevada Water Authority, offers a rebate coupon for Smart Leak Detectors, which sends real-time information about abnormally high water use to an application on your smartphone. Visit snwa.com for more information.