The City of Henderson received certification from Mars Pet Care as a “Better City for Pets.” The City is proud to be among the 25 cities throughout the country recognized to meet the standards that determine a pet-friendly city including collaborating to end pet homelessness, pet-friendly housing and dog parks.
Dog Park Petiquette and Safety Tips
People and canine rules
- Park hours are 7am to dusk without lights and 7am to 10pm with lights.
- Canine and human visitors enter at their own risk.
- Obey all signs and stay in designated areas only.
- Don’t let dogs dig holes. Fill any holes mistakenly dug.
- No food or treats are allowed in the park area.
- Dogs are not allowed on splash pad features. The splash pad at the Bark Park is for dogs only (NO humans) and is available daily 7am to 6pm, May 1 through Sept. 30.
- Owners may bring a maximum of three dogs to the park at a time.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 12.
- Children under the age of 5 are not allowed in the fenced-in, off-leash area.
- Respect visitors both human and canine by keeping your pet from jumping on or interfering with other people and their pets.
- The dog owner/custodian of the pet must clean up after their pet.
- Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injury or loss caused by their dogs, including injuries to people and other dogs. City of Henderson is not responsible for injuries to visiting dogs, their owners and others using the park.
- Exercising your dog on a leash prior to bringing your dog into the dog park gives your dog a chance to expel extra energy. Dog parks are a supplement to a dogs source of exercise and not a sole source of exercise or socialization.
- All dogs must be leashed prior to entering the park itself and exiting designated dog park areas.
- Please pay attention to your dog’s behavior and limit your phone use and other distractions. Owners should be able to recognize negative behaviors in their own dogs so that they can intervene and remove their dog from a potentially negative situation or experience.
- Some behaviors may be unwanted by other dogs and/or the dog owner. If your dog is displaying any of these behaviors, please correct your pet or remove them from the dog park.
Guarding of toys
Constant nipping at other dogs they are playing with
Pouncing and mounting behaviors
- Dogs must be under voice command and control and must be accompanied by an adult human at all times. Owners must remove their dog if it is becoming or displaying aggressive behavior.
- Be respectful of the recommendations for the dog sizes in the separated areas.
- Violators to park rules are subject to removal from the park and possible legal action. HMC 2.27.030.
Animal Control Laws to be mindful of:
- All dogs must be sterilized unless a permit is obtained by Animal Control per HMC 7.10.010
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times, unless they are in a designated dog park area HMC 7.08.020
- Dogs must be licensed with the City of Henderson HMC 7.04.010
- Dogs must have current rabies vaccine HMC 7.04.110
- Dog bites to people should be reported to Animal Control HMC 7.50.020