Community Development And Services

Planning Commission Common Questions

  • I would like to contact the Planning Commissioners. How do I personally speak with them? 
    If you would like to speak with them regarding an application, briefings with Commissioners are held on the Monday before each Planning Commission meeting at 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. Requests for briefings must be submitted to the Community Development Department by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday the week before the Planning Commission meeting. These requests must be in writing and may be personally brought to the Community Development Department, sent by mail, or faxed to (702) 267-1501. Staff will contact you on Wednesday, the week before the meeting, with your briefing times.

    If you would like to speak with them by telephone, contact the Community Development Department at (702) 267-1500. Staff will take a message and ask for your telephone number, then forward your request to the appropriate Commissioner(s).

  • If I am unable to attend a public hearing, how do I voice my opinion?

Prior to the meeting, public comment or comments relating to Planning Commission may be submitted by 5:30 p.m. the day before the scheduled meeting through Contact Henderson or can be submitted via email to (Planning Commission)  Be sure to include your name, zip code, and the agenda item number on which you are providing your comment, along with your comment. All comments will be added to the backup materials for the record.

Those wishing to have their comments voiced live during the meeting, must appear in person or participate through WebEx.

The public hearing notice that you received in the mail has a checkbox at the bottom of the notice where you can designate support or opposition. Simply check the appropriate box and mail the notice back to the Community Development Department at P.O. Box 95050, Henderson, Nevada, 89009-5050.

Another option is to put your opinion in writing and submit it to the Community Development Department in person; by mail at City of Henderson, Community Development Department, P.O. Box 95050, Henderson, Nevada, 89009-5050; through Contact Henderson; or by fax at (702) 267-1501.

Staff will distribute your correspondence and/or the public hearing notice support/opposition to the Planning Commissioners and appropriate staff. Your opinion will also become part of the public record.

  • How do I know if a public hearing has been postponed?
    Contact the Community Development Department at (702) 267-1500 the day of the meeting to verify the agenda schedule, however, items may be continued right up to the time of the meeting.
  • Since my application is on the consent agenda, do I need to be present?
    Yes. Although the Planning Commission generally accepts the recommendation of staff on all consent items with one motion, the Commission, the applicant, or members of the public may pull any items off the consent agenda for discussion. If an item is pulled for discussion, the Chairman will request the applicant and/or representative to approach the podium. Generally, if the applicant/representative is not present, the item is continued to the next available Planning Commission meeting.
  • My application is toward the end of the agenda, what time do I need to attend the meeting?
    Planning Commission meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. Since the Chairman reserves the right to hear any of the applications out of order, it is strongly suggested you arrive promptly at 6:00 p.m.
  • I would like to my voice my opinion at the Planning Commission Meeting. Can I do this and, if so, how?
    Yes. To speak to the Planning Commission, you must complete a blue speaker card prior to the start of the meeting. Speaker cards are available at the entrance of the City Hall Council Chambers. Once the form has been completed, it should be given to the Minutes Clerk at the front of the Council Chambers. When the item you wish to speak about is being heard, the Planning Commission Chairman will invite anyone wishing to speak on the item to the podium. At this time, you would approach the podium. Each speaker will be allowed three minutes.

If you have further questions, contact the Community Development Department through Contact Henderson, or you may call us at (702) 267-1500, or stop by Henderson City Hall, 240 Water Street. We’re located on the first floor.