Henderson Fire Department institutes the first monthly fire drills for
local schools. Clark County later followed suit.
by the “storm of the
decade” in 1967.
The storm caused
damage to the city’s
flags along Water
washed and repaired
the flags and
re-installed them so
the city could retain
the title of City of Flags.
The City of Henderson officially recognizes IAFF (International
Association of Firefighters) Local 1883 as the representative union
for Henderson Fire Department personnel.
Citizens are allowed
to paint fire hydrants
in celebration of the
in 1976. New hires
undergo a two-week
rookie school before
assigned to their shifts.
reaches 24,376 in 1980.
Station 94 (now 84) at 400 N. Valle Verde Dr. opens.
The City of Henderson institutes its first modern rookie school.
Outside instructors are brought in to teach the new hires.
The Pepcon blast causes widespread damage throughout
Henderson. Multiple ladder and rescue units respond.
New stations open at 600 College Dr. (now Station 81)
and 100 Burkholder Blvd. (now Station 83).
Henderson’s population rises to 65,942 in 1990.
A 150-ton tank of
liquid chlorine leaks
into the air (one of
the largest leaks in
the nation). BMI offers
to provide the city
with a HAZMAT team
in return for positive
The fire chief refuses. Station 95 at 2300 Pebble Rd., Station 96
(now 86) at 1996 E. Galleria Dr., Station 97 at 1550 Amador Ln.,
and Station 98 at 891 Coronado Center Dr. open. Station 92
(now 82) and the Paul Ruth Memorial Training Center open
at 401 Parkson Rd. at Warm Springs Road. The Henderson
Fire Department earns accreditation from the Commission
on Accreditation of Ambulance Services. It is the fourth fire
department to earn this prestigious award. The department earns
the Commission on Fire Accreditation International award, the
14th department in the nation to earn this coveted award.
The Henderson Fire Department becomes the only fire
department in the nation to receive accreditation by both
agencies. Henderson population rises to 195,465.
All stations start receiving emergency dispatches by printer
and radio.The department employs a computer program to
document all logbook entries. An engine crew is awarded the
city’s first medal of honor by the mayor for rescuing a baby boy
from a trailer fire. Station 99 at 2401 Atchley Dr. opens.
The city opens the first fire station in 15 years, Station 91 at
2901 Democracy Drive.
For a deeper look into the history of the Henderson Fire Department,