News

News Release

Woman Dies, Man Injured in Henderson House Fire

June 30, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051

Henderson, Nev. – An accidental fire that started in the kitchen of a Henderson home resulted in the death of one resident and injury to another and displaced 11 people.

The Henderson Fire Department was dispatched to the 500 block of Grimsby Avenue, near Sunset Road and Stephanie Street, for a residential structure fire at about 6:30 a.m. this morning.

The first arriving engine crew observed a one-story single family residence on fire. Firefighters were informed there could be people still inside the structure and they quickly organized an offensive fire attack and entered the house to initiate a search, locating two adults.

An 82-year-old woman was transported to University Medical Center where she was pronounced dead. A 55-year-old man was also transported to UMC with non-life-threatening injuries. A dog and a rabbit also died in the fire.

Five engines, one truck, four rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire. Henderson Police and NV Energy were also on scene to help secure the property. There were no other injuries.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and the total estimated loss is valued at $280,000.

# # #