News

News Release

Poorly Discarded Cigarette Causes House Fire

June 14, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051

Henderson, Nev. – A poorly discarded cigarette started a fire on the front porch of a Henderson home, displacing a family of seven and causing $145,000 in damage.

The Henderson Fire Department was dispatched to the 100 block of Magnesium Street, near Lake Mead Parkway and Water Street, for a residential structure fire at about 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 13.

The first arriving engine crew observed a one-story single family residence fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters organized an offensive fire attack and entered the house to quickly extinguish the fire.

Four engines, one truck, two rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire. There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters.

Five adults, two children and five dogs were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

A City of Henderson senior fire investigator, NV Energy and Southwest Gas Corp. responded to help secure the property. The Henderson Police Department assisted with traffic and crowd control while Magnesium Street was closed for about an hour.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to a poorly discarded cigarette. The total estimated loss is valued at $145,000.

# # #