In the desert southwest, water is our most precious resource. Southern Nevada averages only four inches of rainfall each year. Managing our water wisely and conserving what we use will help assure adequate water supplies throughout the year. The City is working to conserve water through pro-active measures to increase water conservation, lower water and consumption and encourage efficient water use.
Local & Regional Initiatives
Through the City of Henderson Turf Conversion Program the City reduces water usage by converting “non-recreational” turf in city-owned parks, along streetscapes, and near municipal facilities to desert landscaping. Through July 2008, the program converted over one million square feet of turf to desert landscaping, saving the City an estimated 64 million gallons of water and $220,000 annually.
The City also has a Turf Removal Loan Program, which is available to Henderson residents of any income level who wish to replace their turf with water-efficient landscaping. Residents may apply for a loan of up to $5,000 at 3% interest over 7 years. Contact the Neighborhood Services Division at (702) 267-2000 for more information.
The City uses non-potable reclaimed water for irrigation in many landscape areas, notably along the Boulder Highway Corridor, in golf courses, and a cemetery. The City annually reuses approximately 34% of our reclaimed water for these purposes.
The City is committed to reducing water usage in our community through Henderson Knows H2O, which offers classes, events, and other programs to help landscape professionals and everyday citizens learn about ways they can conserve this precious resource.
The City is participating in a regional effort to develop new programs that will address stormwater quality requirements recently approved in the Stormwater Permit issued by the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection. Once implemented, these efforts will help reduce unnecessary runoff and pollution of our water supply following large rain events.
Additional Information & Resources
The Environmental Protection Agency helps administer the WaterSense program to protect the future of our nation's water supply by promoting water efficiency and enhancing the market for water-efficient products, programs, and practices. They even provide a website tailored for children at WaterSense Kids.
The Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) offers conservation tips and rebates to promote water conservation throughout the community. You can even use their calculator to estimate your annual money and water savings if you convert the grass in your yard to desert landscaping.
The City will be revising its recommended plant lists for new developments to include a wide variety of drought-tolerant and shade-producing plants. Additional standards for groundcover, tree placement, and irrigation will help promote plant health and prevent evaporation.
To improve plant health and promote water conservation, it's important for local residents and business owners to water their landscape at the right times and amounts based on the season. Check out the current watering schedule for up-to-date information and restrictions.
The Acacia Demonstration Gardens, located at 50 Casa del Fuego near the intersection of I-15 and I515, are home to a wide variety of trees and plants that are well-suited for our desert climate. Informational signage and multiple climate zones throughout the park help visitors learn some of the key features and conservations measures they can apply to their own yards at home.
Southern Nevada gets nearly 90% of its water from the Colorado River. The other 10% of our water comes from groundwater that is pumped out through existing wells within Clark County.