Contact Henderson

Get Adobe Reader
Adobe® Reader® is required to view PDF files.

Public Works

Updated May 3, 2010
Right-of-Way - Obtain Permits on Federally Owned Land

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) are agencies within the United States Department of the Interior which administers America's public lands, totaling approximately 258 million acres or one-eighth of the landmass of the country. The use of the following instructions and appropriate application package will ensure the submittal is complete and meets local, state, and federal requirements.


  1. Determine the type of application being requested:

    1. Bureau of Land Management Right-of-Way Permit and checklist;

    2. Bureau of Land Management Recreation and Public Purposes Permit and checklist; or
    3. Bureau of Reclamation Right-of-Way Permit and checklist
  2. Compile the items listed on the appropriate checklist.
    1. Federal Government Application form and Temporary Use Permit application, if applicable;
    2. Plan of Development;
    3. Complete legal description with total area requested and total area already disturbed;
    4. Copies of the following:
      1. USGS Quad Map (7.5 minute)
      2. Current BLM Master Title Plat
      3. Assessor's Parcel Map
      4. Photographs: include unique features along the area being requested
      5. Aerial Photos;
      6. If requested area is for road purposes, include cross section showing where municipal utilities would be located;
      7. Copies of jurisdictional approvals (use permits, etc.);
      8. Project information in electronic format (CD/disk);
      9. Applicant/Contact name and address; and
      10. Fees, if applicable.
      11. Submit packet to Survey/Right-of-Way and Property Management.
City of Henderson:
  1. Staff submits application to the appropriate federal agency for processing. During processing, the applicant is responsible for submitting additional information as necessary.
  2. Once permit is offered to the City, the City Manager signs it.
  3. Staff requests mitigation or processing fees, where applicable.
  4. Survey/Right-of-Way and Property Management returns the offer to the federal agency.
  1. Pays mitigation or processing fees as identified by the federal agency.
Federal Agency:
  1. Grants the permit.
City of Henderson:
  1. The documents are recorded with the Clark County Recorder.
  2. Survey/Right-of-Way and Property Management schedules the permit for City Council acceptance.
  3. The originals are filed with the City Clerk's office.
  4. Copies are provided to the applicant. The permits contain stipulations that must be adhered to whenever any project is constructed and maintained on federal lands. It is the applicant’s responsibility to follow the stipulations.