The North Community Police Station is located at 225 E. Sunset Rd. serving the North Patrol Division, the area roughly north of I-215, south of Russell Road, east of Pecos Road and west of Pabco Road. The North Community Police Station is the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified city building in the city of Henderson. The LEED Green Building Rating System is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance, energy efficient buildings.
There are energy efficient improvements throughout the building. Some of these improvements include:
- Rain water is diverted from parking lots through the landscaping and filtered back into the underground aquifers to reduce run-off into the streets.
- Native and adaptive plants are used in the landscaping along with high efficiency drip heads. About 10 percent of the plants will be taken completely off of irrigation once they are established.
- Solar panels installed on the covered parking roofs are anticipated to generate about 12.5 percent of the station's electrical needs.
- Skylights were used throughout the facility to reduce the need for electric lighting.
- During construction, materials with high recycled content were used throughout the building including carpets, countertops and steel.