The City of Henderson strives to spread the message of kindness and the value of kind acts through our city special events, programs, parks and facilities.
By encouraging our residents and customers to extend a kind word or gesture, we hope to achieve a greater sense of caring, sportsmanship and empathy throughout Henderson.
Be Kind Proclamation
The Be Kind Initiative Committee received a proclamation at the November 7 City Council meeting declaring November as Be Kind Month in the City of Henderson.
2017 Heart of the City Award Honoree Jud Wilhite
Jud Wilhite was nominated and selected for his outstanding service to others, including hosting a school supply campaign that directly impacted 700 children; launching a support program for those struggling with substance abuse, depression and other issues as well as organizing a support group for those coping with grief; and providing guidance and support and job opportunities for individuals who were previously incarcerated to help them get back on their feet.
2018 Heart of the City Nominations
The Heart of the City Award is designed to recognize individuals who have performed exceptional acts of kindness that have enriched the lives of our community. The award is presented annually to a citizen or city employee who has demonstrated distinctive service or acts of kindness to another individual, which may be described as one or more of the following:
- Improvement of academic performance
- Enrichment opportunities, character building and/or mentoring
- Recognition of others
- Possessing exceptional qualities that set this person apart
- An action or behavior that raised the morale of others
- Sincere cooperation, positive attitude and exceptional willingness to assist others
City of Henderson residents and employees who have gone above and beyond in promoting and living the kindness message (such as, but not limited to, coaches, teachers, students, and community leaders) are eligible for nomination.
Nominations for the 2018 Heart of the City Award are accepted through October 1, 2018. Download the Heart of the City Award fillable nomination form.
Heart of the City Recipients
2017 Jud Wilhite
2016 J. T. Reynolds
2015 Drew Stevens
Kindness is Key
Participants of Safekey and Teen Scene who extend a kind word or gesture are recognized monthly. Program staff submit nominations and a special award is presented to the top nominees.
Help Spread Kindness
- Pay someone a compliment
- Say thank you
- Bring in a neighbor’s trash bins
- Greet someone with a smile
- Wipe down fitness equipment after use
- Hold a door open for another person
- Let someone go ahead of you in line
- Pick up a piece of litter
- Ask if you can help
- Return a shopping cart
- Compliment someone to their boss
- Leave a nice server a generous tip
- Help a mother with her baby stroller
- Volunteer your time or talents
- Help someone carrying a lot of stuff
- Let someone merge into your traffic lane
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors
- Offer your seat
- Bring a treat to work
- Give someone a book you think they’d like
- Let them have the parking space
- Try to make every person in a group conversation feel included
- Send anonymous flowers
- Compliment someone in front of others
- Listen intently
- Adopt a rescue pet
- Hold the elevator