Be on the lookout for our next "Your Neighborhood Matters" newsletter. It
will include a recap of our most recent Neighborhood Leadership Forum on the
topic of Block Walls.
Homeowners Should Do Research Before Hiring A
The Nevada State Contractors Board recommends that homeowners do their
research before hiring contractors to repair or remodel their homes because
many homeowners, unfortunately, become victims of unlicensed contractors’
The Nevada State Contractors Board (NSCB) recommends
homeowners use these guidelines before hiring a contractor:
• Hire only licensed contractors.
• Check the contractor’s license number by calling the Nevada State
Contractors Board at (702) 486-1100 in Southern Nevada, or (775) 688-1141 in
Northern Nevada, or at
• Get three references, and
review past work.
• Get at least three bids.
• Get a written contract and do not sign anything until you completely
understand the terms.
• For pool contracts, pay 10
percent down or $1,000 - whichever is less, if a deposit is required.
• Don’t let payments get ahead of the work. Keep a record of all payments.
• Don’t make a final payment until you are satisfied with the job.
• Don’t pay cash.
• Keep a job file of all papers
relating to your project.
• Check the contractor’s
record with the Better Business Bureau in your area, or visit their website
Homeowners can obtain a wealth of information on
protecting themselves from unlicensed contractors by visiting the NSCB
website at: www.nscb.state.nv.us.
By clicking on the “Consumer Information” tab on the NSCB website,
homeowners can download brochures with information on how to avoid being
victims of unlicensed contractors.
information, contact the NSCB at (702) 486-1100 in Southern Nevada, or (775)
688-1141 in Northern Nevada.