Those at risk- Everyone
Look out for yourself:
- Stay alert/aware of your surroundings, whether on the street, in an
office building or shopping mall, driving, or waiting for a bus.
- Send a message that you are calm, confident, and know where you are
- Be realistic about your limitations and abilities. Avoid places or
situations that put you at risk.
Tips for your home:
- Put locks on all doors. Police recommend double-cylinder, deadbolt
locks, but make sure you can easily use the locks you install.
- Install peepholes.
- Know your neighbors. Watchful neighbors, who look out for you, as well
as themselves, are a front line defense against crime.
- If you have difficulty speaking, have a friend record a message (giving
your name, address,
and type of disability) to use in
emergencies. Keep the tape in a recorder next to your phone.
Tips before you go on vacation:
- Plan ahead. If you are traveling by car, get a map and plan your route.
Have the car checked before you leave.
- Leave copies of the numbers on your passport, driver's license, credit
cards, and Traveler's Checks with a close friend or relative
in case you need to replace these papers.
- Put lights and radio on timers to create the illusion that someone is at
home while you are away. Leave shades, blinds and curtains
in normal positions. Stop mail and deliveries, or ask a neighbor to take
Tips when going out and about:
- Go with a friend.
- Stick to well-lighted, well traveled streets. Avoid sort cuts through
vacant lots, wooded areas, parking lots and alleys.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Carry a purse close to your body. Put your wallet in an inside coat or
front pants pocket.
- Always carry your medical information in case of an emergency.
- Have a cell phone.
Tips on public transportation:
- Use well-lighted, busy stops. Stay near other passengers.
- Stay alert. Don't doze or daydream.
- If someone harasses you, make a loud noise or say "leave me alone." If
that doesn't work, hit the emergency signal on the train
For more information please access these sites:
Henderson Crime Prevention
Henderson Crime Search