Contact Henderson

Get Adobe Reader
Adobe® Reader® is required to view PDF files.

Animal Control

Leash Laws

Henderson Municipal Code pertaining to the leash law (HMC 7.04.130 and 7.04.150) reads:

7.04.130  Restraint and sanitation.
A.   Every person who is the owner of any animal, or keeps the same upon his premises or under his care, custody or control, shall keep the animal restrained by a fence, cage, coop, chain, leash or other adequate means so that said animal shall not leave or escape from the premises upon which it shall be kept; provided that no person shall keep any such animal unless its living area is kept clean and free from offensive odors, animal wastes and rodents, excessive amounts of flies, or any other offensive or unwholesome condition.
B.   It is unlawful for the owner or person having care, custody or control of any animal to permit, either wilfully or through failure to exercise due care or control of such animal, any animal to excrete any solid waste upon any sidewalk of any public street or public park, or to excrete any solid waste upon any real property under the control of or in the possession of any other person, or upon any place to which the public has normal access or right of ingress or egress, provided further, that no violation of this section

7.04.150  Permitting animals to run at large unlawful.

It shall be unlawful for any person having charge, custody or control of any dog or other animal, or any fowl, to permit the same to run at large or trespass on the private premises of another, or to be on any public highway, street, alley, court, public ground, or unfenced lot.

Who do you call if you see dogs running loose?
Call the Henderson Animal Shelter at (702) 267-4970. After hours, if it is a threat to public safety, call the Henderson Police Department at (702)267-5000.

All animals impounded are taken to the Henderson Animal Care and Control Facility, 300 E Galleria, where they are held for a minimum of 72 hours or three working days for the owners to claim. The owners are required to show proof of current rabies vaccination, Henderson animal license or some type of proof of ownership. If they do not have current vaccinations or licenses, they will be charged for them. They could also receive a misdemeanor citation for the animals running at large.

What about cats and ferrets?
The leash laws apply to cats and ferrets, also. Pet owners have a legal responsibility to keep their cat or ferret on their own property, just as one would do for their own dog.

What can I do about my neighbor's cat that is allowed to roam freely?
We loan humane cat traps out, to City of Henderson single family residences, for 10 day increments. After a trap has been reserved and is picked up, once the cat has been trapped, and we have been notified, one of our Animal Control Officers will pick the trap and cat up. For further information please call our office at (702) 267-4970.

How do you keep a cat from roaming?
There are many different approaches to keeping a cat safe, happy, and healthy by keeping them confined to your premises. The obvious is not to let the cat out doors unless you are with it, it is in an enclosed pen, or the cat is harness trained to go for walks. There are different specialty cat fences available that not only keep a cat in, but keep others out. Spay or neuter your cat.

How do I find out if my animal has been impounded?
If the animal is wearing a current Henderson license, rabies tag, other type of license or identification tag, we will notify the owner automatically by phone within 24 hours; provided that the information is current and accurate. If the animal is not wearing any type of identification it is best for the owner to visit our facility and view the animals impounded. You can also visit our Access a Pet 24/7 page.

Mandatory microchipping:
Effective 2004, Henderson Municipal Code requires ALL animals being reclaimed by or returned to their owners to be microchipped at the owner's expense of $25.00. If the animal is already microchipped then this fee will be waived. If the animal is already microchipped but not registered to the current owner, then a $10.00 ownership transfer fee will apply. The microchip fee is in addition to any other fees that are incurred.

If you live outside the CITY OF HENDERSON, call either the Clark County Animal Control (702) 455-7710 or the City of Las Vegas Animal Control (702) 229-6444, option 2 or your local police department to report animals running at large.