News

News Release

Unattended Candle Causes Apartment Fire

December 17, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051
Henderson, Nev. – A candle left burning unattended in an apartment caused a fire at the Elysian at the District early Saturday morning, sending one man to the hospital and causing $6,000 in damage.

The Henderson Fire Department was dispatched at about 3:30 a.m. on Dec. 15 to 2151 Village Walk Dr. for a water flow alarm. Upon arrival, the engine crew found a man outside the building suffering from smoke inhalation and called for additional resources for a structure fire. 

The fire was located in a third-floor unit of a three-story multifamily apartment building and extinguished by firefighters. The building’s fire sprinkler system controlled the fire and helped prevent it from spreading to neighboring units. 

One man suffered smoke inhalation and was treated and then transported to University Medical Center. A cat was found unresponsive and was rescued and resuscitated by firefighters.

Five people and five pets were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Five engines, two trucks, three rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire. There were no injuries to firefighters.

A City of Henderson senior fire investigator, Henderson Police officers, Southwest Gas Corp. and NV Energy responded to help secure the property.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to an unattended candle. The total estimated loss is valued at $6,000.

To help prevent candle fires, the Henderson Fire Department asks that residents:
• Blow out candles when leaving a room or going to bed.
• Keep candles at least one foot away from anything that can burn.
• Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
# # #